Newrath. an iubhrach in Crioch Branach The name means 'abounding in ewes'; it was probably the name of the district, not merely of the present townland of Rathnew. After the O'Byrnes had occupied that Co. Wicklow coastal area, the Newrath district came into the possession of Sliocht Donnchaidh na h-Iubhraighe, one of the two branches from which the O'Byrne chiefs were elected (an rIoghradh). This Donnchadh was the grandfather of Tadhg mor na h-Iubraighe, whose floruit was c. 1500. The chiefs residence may at first have been on the site of the Anglo-Norman manor-house at Ballinapark. In the Inquisition of 1609 the "Castle of Newragh" is mentioned; this may have been a sixteenth century building, but nothing is known of it, and there is no tradition of its site. The location of Newrath would probably have stretched from current day Rathnew south to Wicklow town.